Qualify for USASA National Championships
The Purgatory Snowboard Team competes in the USASA Regional SW Colorado Series, hosted by Crested Butte, Durango Mountain Resort, and Telluride.
Age groups are determined by the age of the competitor on December 31 of that season. The following age categories are recognized by the USASA for both men and women for the season.
- Ruggie (7 under)
- Grommet (8-9)
- Menehune (10-11)
- Breakers (12-13)
- Youth (14-15)
- Juniors (16-17)
- Jams (18-22)
- Senior (23-29)
- Master (30-39)
- Legend (40-49)
- Kahuna (50-59)
- Methuselah (60 & over)
- Open Class
- Skiers < 9
- Skiers 10-12
- Skiers 13-15
- Skiers 16-18
- Skiers 19 + Open Class Skier
The following criteria must be met in order to qualify for USASA National Championships in Copper Mountain, March/April 2013
- Each Sanctioned Regional Series is allocated one slot for their series winner in each discipline and age/gender group. You must be named the Regional Series winner for a discipline: SL, GS, Boardercross, Half-Pipe, Slope Syle or Rail Jam. Winner is determined by number of points obtained in that series. The Series will use the USASA National Ranking system to determine points for an event.
- Athlete MUST compete in the discipline AT LEAST TWICE during the season, in their series.
- Each Sanctioned Regional Series can name their second place finisher in each discipline, gender and age class as an alternate in the event that the first place finisher can’t attend.
- Series winner or alternate slots cannot be handed down to the next available rider. (i.e. lower than second place)
- In the event that neither the regional series winner nor alternate is able to attend Nationals, that spot is forfeited by the regional series and will be filled through the National Rankings.
- National Champions from the previous year in each discipline are pre-qualified for the National Championships provided they are current USASA members in good standing by March 1st, 2013. Previous year’s National Champion will be seeded first in that discipline at the current National Championship.
- Overall National Champions from the previous year will be pre-qualified for the National Championships in the events their overall title represents. Overall Champions will be seeded 2nd in each discipline at the current year’s National Championship.
USASA National Ranking System
- Any available slots at USASA nationals not filled by Regional series winners, USASA National Team Members, Pre-Qualified riders from previous Nationals or Revolution Tour leaders, (see rule 103.09) will be filled via the USASA National Ranking System.
- National Rankings will be calculated using a minimum of 2 and a maximum of the best 3 results from each rider beginning with the previous year’s National Championships.
- National Ranking Scores will consist of the rider’s best 3 results during the current season including the previous year’s National Championship.
- Regional Series are limited to a maximum of 6 regional events during the season in a discipline to count towards National Rankings.
- Points from Regional series will use the table outlined in Section 700 with 10 bonus points awarded for each rider beaten in that individual event.
- In the event that a rider’s best 3 results includes the previous years Nationals, points will be awarded according to Section 700 with 15 bonus points awarded for each rider beaten in a National Championship event.
USASA Point Chart