Recognizing the potential obstacle funding can be and determined to do their best to reduce cost as a barrier for kids to participate in winter sports, a group of local skiing enthusiasts came together in 2006 to form the Durango Winter Sports Foundation. Their vision was that combining the fund raising efforts of the three sports under a single umbrella, the not for profit entity would offer more opportunities for sponsors and donors as well as a larger, unified group of volunteers.
In the eight years since its founding, DWSF has raised more than a half million dollars to help offset the cost of Alpine, Nordic and Freestyle skiing and has added disciplines of Snowboard and Free Ride to its list of supported programs. More Durango (Farmington & Silverton) kids are participating in winter sports than ever before due to the various program and scholarship offerings. And those kids, about 200 annually, have done great things whether it’s learning the invaluable life lessons taught by competitive athletics or attaining their personal goals.
DWSF Mission Statement
The mission of the Durango Winter Sports Foundation (DWSF) is to help young athletes achieve great things as individuals and as competitors by providing financial, developmental, and organizational support to the athletes, their coaches, clubs, and programs.
DWSF Vision Statement
To fulfill the mission of the Durango Winter Sports Foundation (DWSF) by:
- Supporting programs which utilize winter sports activities to not only introduce young athletes to the value of lifetime involvement with sport but also help develop athletes who are ethical, respectful, and disciplined individuals;
- Supporting, and encouraging competent, qualified coaches;
- Providing opportunities and scholarships for DWSF athletes to compete at the local, regional, national, and international level;
- Recognizing and publicizing local kids doing great things through the achievements of current and former athletes;
- Working with local ski areas, parks and recreation departments, and the ski industry to maintain, improve, and promote winter sports facilities and opportunities in the Durango area;
- Engaging and working with communities in the Durango area to meet the objectives of the DWSF;
- Establishing and maintaining relations with other sports organizations in the Durango area to provide assistance in attaining mutual goals;
- Maintaining memberships and representation in the United States Ski & Snowboard Association (USSA), the USSA Rocky Mountain Division,Rocky Mountain Nordic, and other similar entities and cooperating with those organizations to attain mutual goals; and
- Providing a vehicle for fund raising for the respective teams of the DWSF.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
One of the goals of the Durango Winter Sports Foundation is to provide all youth in the community with the opportunity to train and compete in winter sports to the best of their ability. In furtherance of this goal, the Durango Winter Sports Foundation has a scholarship program to assist with tuition for the Alpine, Freestyle, Snowboard and Nordic Ski Teams based on financial need. Scholarship assistance comes from individual and corporate donations and fundraising events such as the DWSF Snow Soiree.
Below are the annual reports for each fiscal year for the Durango Winter Sports Foundation.